- 1lb King Crab Legs
- 1 Cup Sushi Rice
- 2 tbsp. Rice Vinegar
- 6 tbsp. Wondra Flour
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. Sriracha Hot Sauce
- 4 cups Vegetable Oil
- 1 small bundle Chives
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 3 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- Oil Fryer
- P10 Bradley Smoker
- Small Skillet
Making the Rice Cakes
- Combine sushi rice, water, rice-wine vinegar, salt, in a medium saucepan with 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Cover with a lid and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes or until done. (Alternative: use a rice cooker).
- Remove from the heat and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Line a half baking sheet with plastic wrap then spray with non-stick cooking spray. Firmly press the rice into the pan to create an even layer that comes up to the top of the pan. Refrigerate until set, preferably overnight but at least 1 hour.
- Remove the rice from the pan and using a circular cutter dipped in hot water to prevent sticking, cut out circles. Dust in wondra flour and hold until ready to fry.
- Meanwhile, heat about 1/2 of your vegetable oil in a heavy bottomed pot to 350 degrees F. When heated, add the rice cakes and deep fry on each side until just barely golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to a paper towel lined baking tray and hold warm for service.
Bradley Smoker Settings:
Temperature: 256 F
Smoke Timer: 25 minutes
Timer: 25 minutes
Making the Smoked King Crab
- Set the Bradley Smoker to above settings
- Set King crab onto a cutting board and using a saucepan melt ½ stick of butter.
- Using a baster: baste each crab leg in the butter.
- Place into the smoker for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the smoker and crack open all the legs/claws. Remove all the meat and place into a mixing bowl.
- Add in mayonnaise, sriracha hot sauce, lime juice, and mix. (This crab mix will go on top of the rice cake).
Building the Rice Cake
- Place the rice cake on a cutting board and add 1 tbsp of crab mix on top of the rice cake.
- Using the fresh chives chop and add on top of the crab mix.
- Drizzle Eel Sauce on top of everything and enjoy!
(Eel Sauce Directions)- In a saucepan add in ¼ cup Soy sauce, ¼ cup Sugar, and stir on medium heat. Heat the mix until the soy sauce starts to simmer and cook down until the sauce thickens (cook about 5-7minutes). Next, Place into the freezer for about 5-10 minutes to help rapidly cool the mix and it will become very thick. Enjoy!
Join chef Bryan Edwards for a series of recipes aimed at helping you hone your cooking skills. We will focus on flavor, presentation, technique, fun, and more!