Does anyone love that feeling the first time that weather hits above 70 degrees and you can finally feel spring is nearby? That feeling immediately gets me in the mood to be outside with a couple beers, some music playing, and my family gathered around the grill and the smoker counting down the minutes to dinnertime. My dog loves waiting near the smoker hoping a couple small pieces fall off my tray every time I pull it out to check. So crank up your tunes, head into the backyard and breathe some of that new spring air with this easy, simple ka-bob recipe.
2 Wooden Skewers
2 Boneless Chicken Breast
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Red Onion
1 Cup Italian Salad Dressing
1 package Romain lettuce
Smoke Time: 1 hours
Cook Time: 2 Hours
Temp Setting: 252 degrees F
Bisquettes Flavor: Chili Cumin
Chicken Completed Temp: 165 degrees F.
Cooking Method: Double Sear, Smoked
- Cut chicken breast into 2×2 chunks and place into a gallon zip lock bag with the Italian dressing. Tip: Let marinade for 4-6 hours.
- Set your Bradley Smoker to the listed settings above.
- Rinse the vegetables under cold water and cut into 2×2 cuts (about the same size as the chicken).
- In this order place the pepper, chicken, and onion slices onto the skewer. Repeat until the entire skewer is full.
- Time for the sear on the grill. Start your grill up on high and get your grates nice and hot. Place the skewers on the grill and rotate every 30 seconds. Once you have seared the skewers on all four sides pull off the grill. Tip: Do not forget to turn off your grill until you need it again.
- Before you place the skewers into the smoker you want to take a couple pieces of the romaine lettuce on the grate. Lay the skewers on top of the lettuce and pour a little of your favorite BBQ sauce on top of the chicken. Lay another piece of romaine lettuce on top of the chicken skewers, to ensure the entire skewer is covered by the lettuce. Now its time to place into the smoker and set a timer for 60 minutes.
- Turn on the grill on high to get the grates nice and hot for the final sear. Place the kabobs on the grill and rotate until the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Top the kabobs with your favorite BBQ sauce and enjoy!
Homemade BBQ Sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tbsp. honey
1/2 tbsp. molasses
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
2 tbsp. brown sugar Directions: In a medium saucepan add all the ingredients listed above on medium heat. Let simmer for 5 minutes before letting cool and serving.
Join chef Bryan Edwards for a series of recipes aimed at helping you hone your cooking skills. We will focus on flavor, presentation, technique, fun, and more!