We’ve all had that debate in our family. Chick-fil-A or Popeye’s? Who has the better chicken sandwich? I’m here to tell you, making your own is where it’s at. My wife and I are currently on different diets so while I fried her chicken up in almond flour and served it on a salad, I was able to create a chicken sandwich for me that was delicious, hearty and of course; gorgeous. I encourage everyone to give this Cluckin Chicken Sandwich a try and make your family say “Cluck, that’s good!”. 😉
- 1/4 cup Egg Whites
- 1/2 jar Augusto’s Green Sauce
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground Black Peppercorn
- 1 tbsp. Corn Starch
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 Boneless Chicken Breast
- 4 Pretzel Hamburger Buns
- 1 large tomato
- 16 Hamburger Dill Chips (4 per sandwich)
- 1 oz. Rainbow Mix Microgreens (Urban Greens Tulsa)
- 1 bottle vegetable oil (48oz)
- Rinse chicken breast off with cold water and cut into half. Example; cut into half (hamburger style), so you get 4 thin pieces.
- Add vegetable oil to the fryer and turn the temp to 400 degrees F. I used my deep fryer for this recipe.
- Using a mixer (I used my Kitchen Aid) pour 1/4 egg whites in the blender and turn on level 10 or high. We are making a meringue that will be used to make a fluffy batter. How do you know if the meringue is done or not? Tip: take a spoon and dip into the meringue. If the meringue sticks to the end while turning the utensil, it is done.
4. Add the 1/4 cup flour and 1 tbsp. corn starch. Mix it in for about 10 seconds.
5. Add 1/4 cup Augusto’s Green Sauce in and stir for 10 seconds or until blended.
6. With the chicken breast cut into four separate pieces let’s add some seasoning. Add the salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder to both sides of the chicken breast.
7. My fryer will only hold one chicken breast at a time, so I cooked one at a time. Dip each chicken breast into the batter and place into the fryer. Tip: the batter is light and fluffy that will cause the chicken to float in the grease right away. If you place the chicken breast underneath the basket you can use the basket as a weight on top of the chicken, so it cooks evenly in the oil.
8. Cook the chicken breast for about 7 1/2 minutes or until chicken internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
9. Toast the Pretzel Hamburger buns until crisp for extra crunch.
10. Now that your Chicken breast has reached 165 degrees F internal temperature. Pull out of the fryer and place on top of your toasted Pretzel bun.
11. Add the tomato slice, pickles and rainbow microgreens on top of the chicken.
12. Finally drizzle Augusto’s Green Sauce on top of your vegetables for ultimate flavor.
You can order the Augusto’s Green Sauce directly by clicking the link below or stop by one of the retailers listed.
-Whole Foods Market
-Crest Fresh Market
-Amish Cheese House
-Okie Spice & Trade