I wanted to make a recipe for Cinco De Mayo on my Bradley Smoker. This recipe has a Mexican food taste with hints of smoked wood. I got part of my inspiration from my Corona beer I was drinking. I was sitting in my back yard admiring the green grass thinking about what flavor I wanted to make. I decided halfway through my beer that I wanted to make a burrito with smoked chicken, peppers, onions, and a sauce that brings back memories.
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 White Onion
- 1 Jalapeno (Cut into halfs)
- 3 Assorted Mini Sweet Peppers (Cut into halfs)
- 1/2 Lime (Cut into slices)
- 6-8 Cherry Tomatoes
- Fresh Cilantro
- 3 Boneless Chicken Breast
- Manzanillo Mexican Spice by OkieSpice & Trade Co.
Smoke Time: 2 1/2 hours
Cook Time: 2 hours 49 minutes
Temp Setting: 226 degrees F
Bisquettes Flavor: Mesquite
Chicken Completed Temp: 165 degrees F
Cooking Method: Smoked and Reverse Sear
- Start Bradley Smoker and set the settings to above directions.
- Season all sides of the chicken breast with the Manzanillo Mexican Spice.
- Place in the smoker for 60 minutes. Set a timer and after 30 minutes flip chicken over to get the perfect lines on both sides of the chicken breast. While the chicken is smoking let’s start on the vegetables.
- Preparing the vegetables- Slice the avocado in half and remove the seed. Rinse all the peppers and cut in half. Slice the onions into rings and start adding all the vegtables into the basket. Add the tomatoes, sliced lime, and cilantro as seen in the image above. Dust all the vegetables using the Manzanillo Mexican Spice seasoning.
- Add the basket of vegetables into the smoker and set a timer for 30 minutes. I use the ThermoWorks TimeStick Trio to help me keep track of time.
- Once the chicken reaches 127 degrees F, wrap the chicken in foil and add 2 tbsp. chicken stock (liquid), two lime slices, and fresh cilantro. Now place back into the smoker and cook the chicken to 145 degrees F.
7. Now that the chicken has reached 145 degrees F, remove from the smoker and start up your grill. To do a reverse sear you need the grill hot (about 350 degrees F) to get those perfect grill marks.
8. Now that the grill has reached 350 degrees F, add the chicken to the grill and sear on each side for about 60 seconds on each side.
9. Place the chicken on the top rack of your grill (not on direct heat) and remove your vegetables from the smoker.
10. Now lets finish off these vegetables over open flame to crisp them up. Grill the vegetables in the basket for about 5 minutes tossing them every 15 seconds.
11. Now its time to pull off the vegetables and chicken off the grill to take inside.
12. Heat the flower tortilla in a damp towel for about 30-45 seconds. This will help make the tortilla flexible and not tear.
13. Prepare vegetables to build burrito- take the avocados, remove the skin, and slice them. Cut the onions, peppers, and limes in half.
14. Build the burrito- add the shredded chicken, avocado slices, onions, peppers, and cilantro onto the flower tortilla. Top with your favorite sauce and enjoy!