For weeks now I have been telling my wife I have been wanting to make a giant tomahawk steak. I felt partially influenced thanks to the BBQ influencers I follow on Instagram and Facebook. For this recipe I wanted to create something different than other recipes I have seen on social media. I prefer to marinade my cuts of meats before smoking so I knew I wanted to give you all a unique marinade to try. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family did.
Tip: Marinade steak for 48 hours (2 days) in the marinade listed above using a 1 gallon zip lock bag. *Warning please simmer the marinade for minimum 10 minutes to ensure the alcohol content cooks out*
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1oz white rum (No one under the age of 21 yrs should use this ingredient.)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. chopped onion
Mix all together in a sauce pan and simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes before using.
Smoke Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 3 Hours
Temp Setting: 226 degrees F
Bisquettes Flavor: Maple
Steak Completed Temp: 145 degrees F (Medium)
Cooking Method: Smoked Reverse Sear Steak
Tip: Marinade steak for 48 hours (2 days) in the marinade listed above using a 1 gallon zip lock bag.
- Preheat Bradley Smoker to the preferred settings listed above.
- Season all sides of steak with salt and pepper.
- Place in smoker with thermometer probe to monitor internal temp.
- After 60 minutes in the smoker turn the steak over to get those perfect lines in the steak.
- Once the steak reaches a internal temp of 135 degrees F and pull off the smoker.
- It’s time to fire up the grill and sear the steak on both sides. Sear the steak on both sides for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Pull the steak off and place 2 tbsp. of butter on top of the steak.
- Tent steak for 10 minutes (Place foil on top of the steak and allow to set).
- Enjoy your steak!
How to read your temperature?
I use my ThermoWorks Thermapen Mk4 to read my meats temperature. Click the link below to check out the Thermapen Mk4.
- With full readings in only 2 to 3 seconds, the Super-Fast® Thermapen is the world’s best in speed and accuracy. Advanced technology makes the new Thermapen Mk4 even more intuitive than previous models. Hold it in any direction and the display automatically rotates right-side-up so you can read it in any position—in either hand, straight up or down; read temperatures without cocking your head.
A great tool for achieving that perfect meat temperature for a medium rare steak on your grill.
- TimeStick Trio is the easiest-to-use triple timer in the world. Each of the three timers has its own display with its own Set and Start/Stop buttons. No confusion on how to set a timer, how much time is left, which one is sounding or how to stop any of the three.