I wanted to make a chicken that is different and unlike other chicken recipes you have seen. This seasoning adds a bit of crunch on the outside of the skin when it comes off the smoker. The key to this recipe is the breadcrumbs that are mixed into the seasoning that will coat the outside of the chicken. The breadcrumbs not only adds flavor to the chicken but it serves as a added barrier to the skin. For this recipe I cooked this chicken on my Bradley Smoker as seen below.
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp black peppercorn ground
- 1 tsp garlic sea salt ground
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
Smoke Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 3 1/2 – 4 Hours
Temp Setting: 250 degrees F
Bisquettes Flavor: Apple
Chicken Completed Temp: 165 degrees F
Preparing to cook Directions:
- Rinse off bird with cold water and dry off.
- Coat the outside of the chicken with olive oil.
- Mix remaining ingredients together and season the chicken. (Outside of skin, under the skin, and inside the bird).
- Mix together the injection and inject into the bird in 4-5 places. (Each leg and breast).
- Set overnight in the fridge.
- Place the chicken on smoker rack.
- Set the smoker to 250 degrees F and set the smoke time to 3 hours using Apple bisquettes.
- Smoke the chicken for about 3 1/2 hours or until the chicken internal temp is 165 degrees F.
How to read your temperature?
I use my ThermoWorks Smoke X4 to read my meats temperature. Click the link below to check out the Smoke X4.
- Next generation RF wireless technology (patent pending) for extended range and
- better signal strength through obstacles and walls, guaranteed to reach anywhere in your home or yard
- Uses Pro-Series commercial-grade probes
- Splash-proof sealed design for outdoor use, rated to IP66
- Stays in place with sturdy base and strong magnets on back
- Backlit dashboard-style display to track temps, alarms, Min/Max
- Includes control circuitry for Billows BBQ Temperature Control Fan (sold separately).
- Designed in Utah by ThermoWorks
- Smoke X is a BBQ Alarm thermometer with ThermoWorks quality and performance. Built with all-new RF wireless technology, Smoke X gives you up to 6,562 feet (1.24-mile) line-of-sight transmission distance to included Smoke X
- Receiver, and max signal strength to penetrate walls so you’ll always be connected anywhere in your home or yard.