Do you have a favorite memory as a child? One that takes you back and appeals to all 5 senses. When you close your eyes it paints itself vividly in your mind and for just a brief, precious moment, you find yourself there? Mine takes me back to fall. The first real chill of the season. Mom just set out all the Halloween decorations and a glorious scent of dinner lazily drifts into the living room. I remember Dad’s crisp crack as he opens a beer can while helping my mother set the table. I remember my parents flipping between Football and Hocus Pocus depending on when the commercials came on. For me, cooking is about recreating those memories as the adult and making new ones my child will close her eyes and see. The holidays have a funny way of eliciting those memories. What are your favorites? What do you close your eyes and see? Can you smell or taste what was cooked for you? Enjoy these ribs, crack a beer, flip on the game (or Hocus Pocus if your wife insists), grab those kiddos and settle in to create your own perfect memory in the making.
- 3-4 lbs Beef short ribs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white onion
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1 tbsp Better than Beef Bouillon
- 12 oz Cabin Boys Beer Bearded Theologian (For cooking)
- 12 oz Cabin Boys Beer Cast – A – Line (For drinking)
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Rosemary
- 1 tsp Miso paste
- 6 potatoes
Instructions: Beef Ribs
This first part is prepared the night before.
1. Season short ribs with Bone Suckin’ Sauce seasoning.
2. Oil dutch oven, and place the short ribs into the bottom of the pan.
3. Cut up onion, potatoes, and carrots into wedges and place in the pan.
4. In a mixing bowl add in brown sugar, thyme, rosemary, tomato paste, beef bouillon, miso paste, 1/4 can of beer and garlic together. Mix all these ingredients together until everything is mixed together.
5. Pour the mixture and the rest of the beer into the dutch oven. Let this sit in the fridge overnight.
6. Next day, preheat the oven to 325 F.
7. Place the dutch oven into the oven and set a timer for 3 hours.
8. Take a fork and see if the beef ribs will flake apart as you pull on them with the fork. If they do not easily flake apart place them back into the oven for 30 minutes.
1. Peel 4 potatoes and cut them up into cubes.
2. Place in a pot with about 3 cups of water and crank up the heat.
3. Let the potatoes boil for about 8 minutes or until you can stick a fork in them.
4. Add 4 tbsp of butter ,1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream and stir.
5. Add 1/2 cup of Westminster Smoked Cheddar cheese.
6. Add 1 tsp of salt .
7. Enjoy these marvelous potatoes.
Cabin Boys Brewery Cast – A – Line- 12 Fl OZ ALC By Vol 4.8%. Enjoy in a pint glass at 42 degrees IBU 23, and SRM 3. This is a refreshing west German style ale. It gives you a splash of Biscuit, Lemongrass, and Pear. The crisp finish will reel you in and have you Hook, Line, And Sinker! This beer I chose to pair with the Short Ribs to drink as your enjoying this tasty meal. In my opinion it is a tasty beer that is not too overpowering so you can taste all the flavor of the meat.
Cabin Boys Brewery Bearded Theologian- 12 Fl OZ ALC By Vol 8.4%. Enjoy in a Goblet glass at 48 degrees IBU 24, and SRM 20. This Quadruple Ale has deep aromas and flavors of Raisins and Caramel from the malt. Hints of Cinnamon and Spices pair perfectly with a pipe and a good book. BYOB (Bring Your Own Bear).